12 days ago
We are currently looking to support our client operating in the oil and gas industry with a requirement for a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer. This will be to start at the end of September, or as soon as possible, and will run for 4 months although further extensions may be possible subject to business needs. This role falls within the scope of IR35 and so appropriate payroll measures will have to be taken to satisfy this and we are happy to support and advise any interested candidates. Rates have not yet been released and so are negotiable to expectations. This will be a primarily office based role with some travel requirements to other offices as well. Flexibility to allow late starts and early finishes will be available to assist travelling contractors.
A description is given below. To apply please respond with a copy of your latest CV in MS Word format with your current situation and availability and general rate expectations (via an Inside IR35 route).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Support the Civil/Structural Manager with the Departments activities.
2. Be the Lead Civil/Structural Engineer on a Project.to manage the delivery of the civil and structural scope either by managing a team in house (UK or India), undertaking the work by self or executing using a local outsourcing design house.
3. When using an external Design House
a. Be able to develop the scope of work for local outsource design house.
b. Assess the suitability of the documentation to be issued to the local outsource designer for the detail design.
c. Be able to monitor the detail design work outsourced to local designer to given time frame and to review the designer house's work to meet the Project's requirements .
4. Involved in the execution strategies and upfront work for Basic Design to establish the design basis for the Civil and Structural scope. (Topological surveys, geotechnical investigations, drainage strategy, design basis statements, developing the construction estimates.)
5. Involvement with proposals for future work - estimating man hours, determine foundation types and quantities for construction costs
6. Provide guidance and oversight for 'design and build' contracts for site buildings (e.g. compressor houses, non process site built buildings.)
7. Develop the scope of work for the civil and structural construction Contract. Provide technical support during bidding process and site Construction.
8. Bring experience to suggest new economical ways in designing the work.
A. PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS
a. The Senior Principal Civil/Structural Engineer shall hold an engineering degree in Civil Engineering and be a chartered engineer in either the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers or equivalent recognized Institution..
a. Civil and Structural experience in a Process Design Industry.
b. Experience as the Civil and structural Lead Engineer on projects up to Class 4 ( $100M to $300M ) to meet cost and schedule
c. Shall be thoroughly proficient in all the tasks below.
i. Foundation design both shallow and piled for a variety of structures - dynamic equipment e.g. compressors, building foundations, static equipment and piperack structures
ii. The structural design of site built steelwork such as piperacks, buildings, Equipment supports.
iii. Knowledge of geotechnical terminology and principles to understand the geotechnical data in soil Investigative reports and determine foundation types..
iv. Understand the duration for various civil and structural tasks in order to assist in preparation of project schedules. costings and proposals.
v. Design of modular structures (piping modules, equipment skids)
vi. Underground gravity drainage experience
d. Have knowledge in the use of industry wide software package - STAAD-Pro,
e. Use of various international design standards - AISC, IBC,ASCE, Eurocodes
a. Will be required to have a good approach to health and safety
b. Abilities to work across multi discipline teams. He/she will be required to work independently representing the Civil Department and be effective in promoting and supporting all aspects of the work done in the Department.
c. An all-round flexible Civil and Structural Engineer willing to commit time and effort to achieve project requirements
d. Able to work with different cultures and diversity around the world, in particular with offices in US, India and China.
e. Prepared to travel when required, both to site and other engineering offices. Typically 6 -8 weeks per year on a planned basis
f. Require very good communication skills in both verbal and written English.