Suffolk, United Kingdom
20 days ago
09 Apr 00:00
We’re looking for a Planning Engineer to join our Suffolk-based client on a staff or contract basis. Our client is a leading global consultancy, providing Project Controls/Project Management assurance and capability to a wide variety of sectors, including nuclear decommissioning.
The Planning Engineer will work as part of our project controls team on a number of high-profile nuclear decommissioning projects. Typical activities include working as part of a multidisciplinary team, to develop and maintain a robust client-side performance measurement baseline by defining work breakdown structures, progress measurement techniques and monitoring the performance of the project. The Planning Engineer is expected to support the team by reviewing and breaking-down the impact trends and changes on the overall programme, produce project control reports and provide performance analysis and recommendations for our clients.
What does the job involve?
- Create and maintain client-side project baseline schedule that support and align with project requirements/scope by proactively engaging with the project team and other stakeholders;
- Break-down critical and near critical path and constraints to understand effect of changes to schedule and recommend work-around;
- Perform what-if analysis to simulate the impact of changes, new initiatives to fast track the project or decide alternative courses of action or recovery on slipped schedules;
- Support project managers to maintain timely and effective change management processes and procedures (adhere to NEC or FIDIC contract processes for management of schedule data and submissions);
- Liaise with the supply chain to ensure the planning and related reporting requirements are met;
- Integrate the supply chain’s schedules into the client master schedule and ensure clear traceability of interdependencies (e.g. Give/Get milestones);
- Interact with project team to define scope of work to develop and update detailed schedules, cost information and identification of variances from original baseline plan;
- Evaluate project schedule progress and performance and identify developing problem areas;
- Perform schedule assurance activities to ensure integrity and robustness and support in carrying out quantitative schedule risk analysis;
- Assist project team to develop status reports to keep management informed on project progress;
- Undertake and/or support the continuous improvement exercises through the performance of project reviews;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Candidates must have or have held security clearance to SC level to be considered.
- Previous experience (4+ years) working in a project controls environment on a major project or programme within the Infrastructure sector (Defence, Nuclear, Rail, Airport, Highways, Utilities);
- Knowledge and proficiency with software planning applications such as Primavera (P6) and/or other planning and resourcing software;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft applications, including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Visio;
- Demonstrable knowledge in project controls and project management methodologies such as critical path analysis, earned value management, progress reporting – rules of credit, schedule assurance, performance reporting and analysis;
- Able to work in partnership with clients to build a win-win relationship and can articulate the benefits achieved;
- Actively seeks opportunities for efficiencies, striving to manage costs and deliver budget
- Able to contribute to the development and closure of new business opportunities;
- Able to manage, update on progress and maintain momentum in meetings;
- Able to provide persuasive and well-reasoned responses to challenging questions;
- Proactively provides constructive feedback to groups and colleagues;
- Takes responsibility for ensuring our client provides the best possible service;
- Contributes towards a culture of service excellence;
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to their role;
- Sets clear goals and manages the performance and development of direct reports;
- Provides guidance, support and motivation;
- Designs and delivers effective added-value solutions for client;
- Is creative in establishing effective relationships with both internal team and external people.
What to do next
If you feel this opportunity could be a fit for your skills and experience, click the apply button!
Recruitment processes with our clients usually move quickly and successful applicants will advance to interview stage promptly. Regrettably, only applicants who demonstrate the required experience outlined in the advert will be contacted.