18 days ago
We are currently looking to support our client with a contract requirement for 2 Mechanical Fitters that must have served a recognised apprenticeship and have a deep understanding and experience of working in the ship repair and support industry.
These roles are fixed 6 month contracts based in Portsmouth, that have been adjudged to be inside IR35 and candidates will also require a BPSS security clearance.
A PAYE rate of around £15-16 per hour is anticipated (pro rata salary 30K p/a). To apply please contact me with a copy of your latest CV and details on your availability to start a new role.
Personnel must have served a recognised apprenticeship, have a deep understanding of mechanical work and be able to carry out the various techniques used in ship repair and support industry. Suitable candidates will have a good understanding of safe systems of work including mechanical work, tag-out, confined spaces, working at height and RN specific safety operations. A sound knowledge of mechanical systems and associated equipment is essential
Candidates must be flexible to undertake tasks across any trade discipline as required. Must be prepared to work in a team to provide a high quality service to meet customer expectations and on occasions work overtime within the bounds of the WTD.
Key Technical Skills:
Mechanical engineering knowledge
Technical Problem solving
Work with minimal supervision
Key Mental/Analytical Skills and Challenges:
Logical fault diagnosis skills
Recognised Time served Apprenticeship
Major Tasks and Activities:
• Ensure safe systems of work are carried out
• Delivering and mechanical connecting of high and low pressure air generators, and running out of hose’s onto vessels. Obtaining sign off from the end user and to give instruction of correct use of plant. Record keeping of running times.
• Caisson operations of all types and basin level monitoring.
• Fault diagnosis and defect rectification.
• Chilled water plant supply and connection. Also to include setting to work and fault diagnosis of all elements of plant.
• Working alongside the Salt water movement teams on reactive and planned maintenance.
• Towing and positioning of high and low pressure plant (training provided).
• Will work with in the Operations department, working within Workshop facilities with milling and turning of various components.
Additional Key Accountabilities:
- Work as an integral part of the waterfront services.
- Undertake additional training to be able to undertake extraneous duties to support the production team.
- Flexible approach to delivering work at various sites if required.
- Deliver quality work with an understanding of time constraints.
SHE Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
SHE Leadership is about setting standards of safe behaviours and integrating SHE into all aspects of the business as a routine. It involves visibly demonstrating commitment to SHE performance and improvement, actively engaging with people at all levels to raise awareness of safe behaviours and attitudes, promoting a just culture.
1. Ensure compliance with the SHE Management System, mitigating risks and improving overall SHE performance
2. Provide suitable information / instruction / communication for the team to undertake all activities in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
3. Demonstrate strong and active leadership for SHE, setting high standards across all areas
Demonstrate the following SHE Behaviours
- Provides visible active commitment to SHE – leading by example, acting on SHE concerns – take 5+5 to be carried out at start of each shift
- Integrates SHE into key business decisions
- Regularly makes time for SHE
- Actively communicates on SHE matters – up and down the chain, engaging employees in SHE dialogue
- Regularly reviews SHE performance as part of the management agenda and takes action to ensure all employees keep safe and work safe